If what you’re looking for on a headstone, or in a graveyard, or a cemetery begins with the letter H, you will find it here within the graveyard symbols A to Z
- Hands on gravestones frequently appear and convey a variety of meanings
- Hand pointing up indicates gone to heaven
- Hand pointing down indicates the Hand of God. Sometimes represent a sudden death
- Clasped hands on a headstone can symbolise the deceased being guided to heaven
- Handshake is a farewell from earthly life and welcome to God’s kingdom
- Hands praying symbolises religious devotion
- Hands reaching either God, or if reaching down for the deceased, or the soul reaching upwards, or both
- Cupped hands represents an offering to God
- Harp in the Bible is linked with praise to God. It can also show a musical talent of the deceased or Irish heritage.
‘Praise the LORD with harp: sing unto him with the psaltery and an instrument of ten strings’Pss 33:2.
Explore more than just the letter H
Here at Headstone Symbols, we are building a complete reference guide to provide you with a complete A-Z.
- Hawthorn in Victorian symbology represents hope. It’s May blossom is also linked with rebirth.
- Heart can represent love, the sacred heart or love of God. An inverted heart, or one being pierced represents death
- Heliotrope in Victorian symbology it represents devoted attachment
- Horses have been associated with power and vitality since the earliest times. They can also represent the long journey to heaven. Shown on a headstone it could also represent that the family owned racehorses, or another trade associated with horses such as a farmer or blacksmith. In medieval times a horse with rider was used to show the dual nature of Jesus. Together they were one entity, but the horse represents the human aspect of Jesus, and the rider His divine nature
- Hourglass represents time draining away, or winged ‘time flies’
- HTWSSTKS is a Masonic abbreviation of ‘Hiram The Widow’s Son Sent To King Solomon’. It is part of the third degree ceremony so shows that the grave is of a mason at least at this level.